[vbox-dev] movzx error compiling on Mac OS X

Kyle Harrigan kwharrigan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 04:16:22 GMT 2007

Knut,

I did svn update and attempted to recompile.

Here is my assembler version from as -v:

Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-590.36~obj, GNU assembler version 1.38

New error message:

kBuild: Compiling RuntimeR3 - req.cpp
{standard input}:829:operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

Thanks,
Kyle

On 8/31/07, Knut St. Osmundsen <bird at innotek.de> wrote:

> Kyle Harrigan wrote:
> > kBuild: Compiling RuntimeR3 - generic/critsect-generic.cpp
> > {standard input}:772:no such 386 instruction: `movzx'
> >
> > Any ideas?  This is Intel Mac btw.
>
> It's a compare and exchange function from include/iprt/asm.h that's
> causing this. The thing is it works fine with the gnu assembler and I've
> never seen it on mac os x myself yet. Anyway, I'll change the 2-3 uses
> of it movzbl and see if that helps. If it still doesn't work I would
> need to know the assembler version, the 'as -v' output.
>
> There are a couple of other build breaks on the mac at present that
> we're working on correcting. The first one is in generic/env-generic.cpp
>   and the second is that the kLdr stuff on svn.netlabs.org is going thru
> some refactoring. The first issue you can work around (if I haven't got
> around fixing it by then) by just make a dummy "char **environ = NULL;"
> global variable. The second issue you can work around by checking out
> the kLdr code from a month ago.
>
> Kind Regards,
>   knut

-Kyle