[vbox-dev] Patch to make configure work better on FreeBSD

Frank Mehnert frank at innotek.de
Tue Jun 19 21:01:45 GMT 2007

Jason,

On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Jason Spiro wrote:
> The FreeBSD binary packages system includes almost all the vbox build
> requirements, but vbox's configure script doesn't work on the OS.  I
> have written a patch to make the vbox 1.4.0 configure script work
> better on FreeBSD.  It is attached.
>
> Changes:
>
> * I add a little TODO comment saying we should use the -pthread option

We will consider this for a later release.

> * I use sdl-config (a tool that comes with SDL) to find out SDL paths

Good idea! Applied and refined.

> * I add FreeBSD's Qt package location to QTDIR

Applied.

> * I mark FreeBSD as a valid OS type

Applied.

> * I display a tip encouraging the use of the --build-xalan option

This comment is superflous as we don't ship the sources in the OSE version.
Your distribution has to supply xalan & xerces in any case. This switch is
for internal use only.

> * I don't check for ALSA on FreeBSD because FreeBSD apps can't use ALSA

Applied.

> * Many fixes to allow the use of /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash

Applied and refined.

> I did not try to make the Xlibs lib and include path detection work or
> to build the Qt test app with the -pthread option.  This is because I
> don't know if any configure test results I captured would properly
> affect the kBuild process.  So, the configure script still fails on
> FreeBSD, but it manages to get further before failing.
>
> I have tested my patch on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.  It works fine.  I am
> fairly confident it will work fine on all other platforms too.  I
> release my contributions to the public domain.  No warranty.

Thank you for your contribution.

> Could you kindly review my patch?  Or, if you are busy, could you at
> least open up a ticket with the patch attached?  Either way please let
> me know what you decide.

Please recheck the applied changes.

> Regards,
> Jason
>
> P.S.  Thanks for making an open source edition of this wonderful
> product available.
>
> P.P.S.  If you used autoconf to generate your configure script, the
> script would automatically work on Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, NetBSD, and dozens of other OSes.  Do you happen to know:
> Why don't you use autoconf?

The reason is that this script has grown over some time and I found it
difficult to deal with the different versions of autoconf.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
## innotek GmbH, http://www.innotek.de ##