[vbox-dev] Segmentation fault while inserting the kernel module - VirtualBox OSE 1.4.0

Eugéne Suter easuter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:46:29 GMT 2007

Hi there,

I'm trying to make a package of VirtualBox OSE 1.4.0 for VectorLinux 5.8, a
Slackware 11 derivative distro.

These are the specs:

- GCC/G++ 3.4.6
- Glibc 2.3.6
- Kernel 2.6.18.5
- Qt 3.3.5

I have all the other dependencies taken care of, and the sources compile
just fine (and seemingly faster than they did with version 1.3.x).

However, after the build finishes and after entering the
out/linux.x86/release/bin/ directory, running "insmod vboxrv.ko" gives a
segmentation fault:

root:# insmod vboxdrv.ko
Segmentation fault

And the output of lsmod shows that the module is not loaded properly (its
quoted):

root:# lsmod | grep vboxdrv
"vboxdrv"              43494  1

Yeah, the vboxdrv appears quoted in lsmod...
And then of course the vboxdrv device does not appear in /dev, so even
though the virtualbox GUI runs fine, I can't do anything with it.

I have done several Google searches that have pointed me to threads where
people have had segmentation faults while running the GUI, but not while
inserting the kernel module.

Can anyone here please shed some light on this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Eugéne