[vbox-dev] how to install Windows Guest Additions from svn

Alexander Eichner alexeichi at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 6 18:02:02 GMT 2007

AFAIK they use wine on linux.
I tried to build WINNT guest additions on linux and it failed because I
don't have cl.exe installed.
Failed command was wine cl.exe ... so I assume they use wine.
The problem is that only Visual C++ up to version 2003 works with wine
because all others need the .net framework. And I couldn't find the old
version in the internet. Now I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
in a Windows XP VM to build the guest additions.

Alexander Eichner