[vbox-dev] integrating virtualbox better into a linux system

Marcus Hüwe suse-tux at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 20:32:42 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 2007-01-31 21:13:56 +0100, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:09:06PM +0100, Michael Thayer wrote:
> > At the moment, we create links in /usr/bin to a script in the main
> > VirtualBox directory.  Is there a particular reason not to install to
> > /opt, as we do now?  Personally, I prefer applications which were not
> > installed through my distributions package system to be put somewhere I
> > can clearly see rather than scattered around my system.  That means that
> > if the uninstaller doesn't work for some reason, I can remove them more
> > easily (I know that that will not happen with VirtualBox of course :)
>
> I don't know whether /opt or /usr/local is better in this case.
>
> Using autoconf you'd usually have a 'make uninstall' option which
> removes the package content from /usr/local again.
> Maybe you can teach kBuild similar things?

Hmm I guess adding such an uninstall option wouldn't be the biggest problem (i
think). The problem it is currently impossible to move the stuff into different
dirs:
For instance VBoxSVC uses the "RTPathProgram"-method to get the path for the
xpcom stuff (if i understand it correctly). So if the VBoxSVC is located in
/usr/bin the application will use /usr/bin for everything else.

Marcus