[vbox-dev] integrating virtualbox better into a linux system

Marcus Hüwe suse-tux at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 20:12:50 GMT 2007

Hi,

thanks for your answer!

On 2007-01-31 20:09:06 +0100, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Hello Marcus,
>
> At the moment, we create links in /usr/bin to a script in the main
> VirtualBox directory.  Is there a particular reason not to install to
> /opt, as we do now?  Personally, I prefer applications which were not
> installed through my distributions package system to be put somewhere I
> can clearly see rather than scattered around my system.  That means that
> if the uninstaller doesn't work for some reason, I can remove them more
> easily (I know that that will not happen with VirtualBox of course :)

No there's no technical reason not to install it into /opt i just don't
like it:)
In my opinion it's better to install everything into the "right" dirs.

> I assume though that VirtualBox packages will soon start to appear in
> Linux distributions, and they will package them to best fit in with the
> rest of their system.

Yep that's why i asked. I wanted to start packaging virtualbox (the svn
snapshots) in the opensuse buildservice. I already have some working rpms
for (open)suse around but they still need a bit "fine-tuning";)

Marcus