[vbox-dev] installation script seems not to work here (fedora core 6)

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 22:39:11 GMT 2007

On 1/24/07, Valentine Sinitsyn <Valentine.Sinitsyn at usu.ru> wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> VirtualBox looks for the headers in
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
>
> where `uname -r` is obviously your kernel version number.
>
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/build is just a softlink to kernel
> sources. In some systems that softlink is created only during kernel
> build process, this explains Maat's problem and solution.
>
> If this does not exists, it tries /usr/src/linux/include
>
> If this directory doesn't exists too, it complains with the message
> you saw and bails out, so check you have everything in place.
>
> Btw. VirtualBox installer keeps datiled log on what's going on in
> /var/log/vbox-install.log - this may help you in case of further
> troubles.
>
> Regards,
> Valentine

Thanks a lot for the detailed info.
Indeed my system had a wrong symlink, from /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i586 instead of
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
Who knows!

Anyway, now the installer does the job, but I have another
problem. The installer said:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.....
VirtualBox Version 1.3.2 (Sun Jan 14 15:25:08 CET 2007) installation
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox-1.3.2
FATAL: Error inserting vboxdrv
(/lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/misc/vboxdrv.ko): Invalid module
format
VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

What is this invalid module format?

The same message appear when I try and start the service vboxdrv.

And, if I try and run VirtualBox, it says:
 error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open

I _do_ have exported LD_LIBRARYPATH to the installation dir
which in my case is /opt/VirtualBox-1.3.2

Suggestions?

--Luca