[vbox-dev] gradual improvement from emulator to paravirtualizer - possible ?

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 20:44:48 GMT 2007

hi all !

I would like to ask about something revolutionary !

Gradual improvement of an emulator to pravirtualizer.

That is - I want VirtualBox to be able to run as:

- emulator (bochs, qemu), (in case that host CPU is non-x86, or if I
don't want to install kernel modules on host, but keep it fully
user-space app)

- virtualizer (VMware, current implementation of VBox),

- paravirtualizer (like Xen)

The paravirtualizer state could be entered after installing guest OS
additions (by modifying kernel of Linux guest).

Then we will have 1 solution for different kinds of problems, that
will scale according to user's needs. I know that it sound a little
bit crazy, but having such a scalable engine with central GUI, and
adaptable to user's needs on demand has plenty of advantages.

What do you think of it ?

-Alexey Eremenko