[vbox-dev] Why are so many guest OSes (such as RedHat and Win98) are not working?

Achim Hasenmueller hasenmueller at innotek.de
Wed Feb 14 15:47:53 GMT 2007

We only test Windows and some Linux guests. And things you don't test
don't work by definition (universal truth of software development).

In the future we plan to add more guest OSes. Technically we can make
all of them work but unless they are part of our automated test server
farm, we will most likely break them very soon.

Achim

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> hi all !
>
> Why are so many guest OSes are not working?
> such as RedHat Linux 7/9/FC1 and Win98, Xandros 3 and Solaris 10 fails also.
>
> working guest OSes:
> SUSE Linux 10.0/10.2 and Win 2000/XP (with DOS somewhere in the middle
> between working and non-working, it boots but has a lot of problems)
>
> Why is this ?
>
> That is - are most bugs in the BIOS or the CPU ring-0 emulation or where ?
>
> Also why IBM OS/2 requires VT ?
> Will Vanderpool make all those other guest OSes magically work ?
>
> VirtualPC and VMware are capable of running a lot of OSes why?
>
> ... and I'm going to fill bug reports against VirtualBox, until I will
> be able to run any x86 OS I have. (ok, I don't expect integration for
> every OS in existence, but every x86 OS in existence should work (at
> least in minimalistic mode, detecting mouse, keyboard, video, and hard
> disk) - neither VirtualPC nor VMware achieved that, but there are much
> closer to this ultimate target)
>
> -Alexey

** Besuchen Sie uns auf der CeBIT vom 15.-21.3.2007 in Hannover **
           ** Im Linux-Park - Halle 5 - Stand G57/3 **

 ** InnoTek at CeBIT Hannover: Linux Park Hall 5 - Booth G57/3 **

Kind regards / mit freundlichen Gruessen / Cordialement,
    Achim Hasenmueller

InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
fon: +49 7151 60405-0 (fax: -111)
hasenmueller at innotek.de
http://www.innotek.de
Germany

Place of Incorporation/Firmensitz: Weinstadt
Register Court / Registergericht: Stuttgart HRB 264652