[vbox-dev] Sources for manual?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:37:41 GMT 2007

2007/12/21, Hilko Bengen <bengen at debian.org> wrote:
> Are there any plans to publish the LaTeX (?) source files for the
> manual under the terms of a free license? This might allow us to
> automatically create manpages for the various tools, too.

Yes, it would be great if you folks at Innotek would GPL all your docs
(and maybe even your wiki contents) just like the Xen team has
done[1].  Then distributions that ship VirtualBox could ship your
excellent manual too.

Hilko, as for making manpages: I don't recall if virtualbox and
vboxmanage support the --help options; if they do, though, maybe you
could use help2man to automatically generate manpages when you
generate your Debian package.  It's not perfect though.  I don't think
it lets you specify arbitrary text it should add to the manpages it
generates, though I guess GNU Patch could do it.

^ [1]. http://xen.begi.net:46984/markup/xen-unstable.hg/xen/include/public/COPYING#l14
explains that just about everything else in the Xen source repository
is GPLed.  This includes the docs.

--
Jason Spiro: corporate trainer, web developer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more.