[vbox-dev] host serial port support on linux hosts

Alexander Eichner alexeichi at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 8 08:44:46 GMT 2007

Hi,

the attached patch adds host serial port support on linux hosts.
To enable it use the following commands:

VBoxManage setextradata "YourVM"
   "VBoxInternal/Devices/serial/0/Config/IRQ" 4
VBoxManage setextradata "YourVM"
   "VBoxInternal/Devices/serial/0/Config/IOBase" 0x3f8
VBoxManage setextradata "YourVM"
   "VBoxInternal/Devices/serial/0/LUN#0/Driver" "Host Serial"
VBoxManage setextradata "YourVM"
   "VBoxInternal/Devices/serial/0/LUN#0/Config/DevicePath" DevicePath
(for example /dev/ttyS0 for the first serial port (COM1))

be sure to have read/write permissions on the device file.
I'm able to program my Asuro robot on an windows guest (it's a little
bit slow but it works).

The patch is licensed under the MIT license.

Kind regards,
Alexander Eichner