[vbox-dev] FreeBSD virtualbox port and VBoxNetDHCP crash fix patch

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Sat Mar 13 15:21:23 GMT 2021

Hi,

I have recently contributed to update the VirtualBox port in the FreeBSD
ports tree [1].

We have a bunch of patches there to make it work with recent FreeBSD
versions. I'd like to have those integrated in the official sources at
some point, but I know some cleanup and review process is required to
achieve this.

So I'm starting with a simple patch that I'm attaching here and can also
be found at [2].

While testing version 6.1.18 in FreeBSD, VBoxNetDHCP was observed
hanging and becoming unkillable and causing panics at system shutdown.

I have noticed that since version 5.2.x the code related to that binary
has been fundamentally rewritten, but looking at the changes I noticed
the method pumping packets through it remained similar, but while in the
past the system call to get packets was performed with a timeout now it
is called without any. Changing this little detail like this patch does,
and reinstating the same 2 seconds timeout fixed the problem for us.

I'd like this patch to be included in official virtualbox sources and I
contribute it according to the MIT license.

As stated above more patches need to be merged but before proposing them
I need to clean them up a little and also group some of them by subject
and not by patched file like the ports tree does. Next thing I plan to
propose is a patch with all the "#if __FreeBSD_version" changes bundled
together.

Thanks in advance!

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/567950

[2] https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/VBoxNetDhcpd.diff