[vbox-dev] Virtualbox 5.1.26 problem with kernel 4.4.76/79 and x86_64

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Aug 14 20:14:47 GMT 2017

On 08/14/2017 12:47 PM, James Moe wrote:
> On 08/14/2017 02:45 AM, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
>>>
>>> ----[ error message ]----
>>> Effective UID is not root (euid=1000 egid=100 uid=1000 gid=100) (rc=-10)
>>> Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
>>> where: SUPR3HardenedMain what: 2 VERR_PERMISSION_DENIED (-10) -
>>> Permission denied.
>>
>> That error message means that the VirtualBox executable isn't installed
>> suid root (which the hardening expects and complains about by pointing
>> at the user id information for the running process).
>>
>    So had I not hardened the OS, VBox would have started Normally?
>    Or is there some extra step when installing VBox from the Software
> Manager?

No, just doing the installation should be sufficient. The executables from
openSUSE are hardened to prevent various hacks. Apparently, your installation of
the openSUSE packages over the Oracle code failed, and you have a mixed set of
files. Run YaST->Software Management and search for virtualbox. You should have
at least 4 packages installed, namely python-virtualvox, virtualbox,
virtualbox-host-kmp-default, and virtualbox-qt. If you see Virtualbox-5.1, that
is left over from the Oracle installation. Force all 4 of the above to be
reinstalled, and report back if that helps.

Larry