[vbox-dev] Kernel API changes for kernel 4.10

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Dec 27 17:16:17 GMT 2016

On 12/27/2016 10:56 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> In kernel 4.10-rc1, the kernel routines register_cpu_notifier() and
> unregister_cpu_notifier() have been removed and their function replaced by
> callbacks from the hotplug state machine. After looking at the changes required
> in some other drivers, I have seen that the required changes will not be
> trivial. Before I start doing the work, I want to know if the changes have been
> started and/or done by Oracle.

One thing I failed to mention. Commit 7fd8329ba502 in 4.10-rc1 also messes up
the ability to define true/false in an out-of-kernel driver. I have submitted a
kernel patch to fix this
(http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1612.3/00086.html), but it has not
yet been merged or received any comments.

Larry