[vbox-dev] Good news: Telnet server patch for VirtualBox serial port !

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:10:35 GMT 2015

Kicking out old NAT had some disadvantages:
1) On certain Windows hosts, there are incompatible network drivers
(VPNs and Firewalls alike). Those crash with any network kernel code,
but work fine with user-space (like old-NAT).

See:
Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48044

2) porting VBox to new platforms (Genode OS) is easier, as only
"vboxdrv" needs porting.

I suggest leaving it out, but if really must, you can hide it inside
of "generic" network interface.

Basically it comes down to userspace vs kernelspace : avoids trouble
in corner cases.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"