[vbox-dev] Automating VirtualBox installation for Macs

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Aug 20 18:15:24 GMT 2013

Hi Andrew,

On 16.08.2013 18:36, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> I love how Ubuntu users can install VirtualBox with "apt-get install
> virtualbox", and Windows users can install VirtualBox with "chocolatey
> install virtualbox"!
>
> Could we complete the trifecta with a Homebrew <http://brew.sh/> formula
> for Mac users? They'll be able to "brew install virtualbox", and that
> would make lots of people happy!

I don't get it... what's stopping you from doing a fully automated
install of what we ship in the .dmg package? Mounting a dmg is not
rocket science (thought that Mac OS users know this, using hdiutil).

"installer -pkg /path/to/mounted/dmg/VirtualBox.pkg" does all the work,
and one can unmount the dmg afterwards.

There's nothing missing from what I can tell...