[vbox-dev] VHD child disk imcompatible with Windows 7 vhdmp driver or Hyper-V

Huihong Luo huisinro at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 16:05:24 GMT 2011

Actually, VBox does emit parent locator info to the diff disk. However, it seems that Microsoft made a mistak in VHD spec regarding to
Parent Locator Entries

Platform Data Space. This field stores the number of 512-byte sectors needed to store the parent hard disk locator.
Platform Data Length. This field stores the actual length of the parent hard disk locator in bytes.

the spec says Platform Data Space should be number of sectors, but Windows 7 or hyper-V actually checks that data as number of bytes, vbox puts 1 for 1 sector, but MS puts 0x200.

When I change u32DataSpace to be number of bytes, then VBox diff files are recognized.

vbox team can decide whether to change this. I will check what vmware is doing on this.