[vbox-dev] NAT IPv6 does exist

Renzo Davoli renzo at cs.unibo.it
Thu Jun 30 08:08:46 GMT 2011

I am here listening on the ML.  May I help the community in any way?
If you want to try slirpv6 I can cooperate.
(I teach at the university of Bologna, now the courses and exams of the
spring term are almost over so I have more time to carry on my projects).
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 03:18:28PM +0200, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
> On 01.06.2011 21:44, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>> Named "slirpvde6" and is part of VDE project, but theoretically it may
>> be separated:
>> http://wiki.virtualsquare.org/wiki/index.php/VDE#slirpvde6
>>
>> Renzo writes:
>> "The new code for the stack and the command slirpvde6 are in the
>> experimental branch on sourceforge. slirpvde6 is very similar to
>> slirpvde but: (1) it is based on lwipv6 instead of the old bsd stack,
>> (2) it supports both IPv4 and IPv6."
>>
>> If someone is interested, take a look.
>
> Would be really a great thing to have such functionality. The biggest
> problem will probably be the license...
It is a fork of LWIP (originally covered a 3 clauses BSD) protected by GPL.

> Both slirp and lwip in the unmodified form are covered by a modified BSD
> license, and lwipv6 slaps on an extra GPLv2 or later header on top, and
> I assume the same applies to slirpvde6.
slirpvde6 connects a vde network to the outside world by a slirpv6 service.
slirpvde6 already works with virtualbox as an independent tool.
E.g. you can create a vde network (start a vde switch), start slirpvde6 and
as many vbox/kvm/user-mode linux/qemu/view-os machines as you like.
They'll be all connected to a masqueraded ipv6 network.

> Finding the sources isn't trivial. I couldn't find an experimental
> branch in the sourceforge svn repo, and also no other branch which has a
> slirpvde6 subdirectory.
>
> Will get in touch with Renzo, to see if this can be sorted out.
You need to compile the stuff in:
http://view-os.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/view-os/branches/rd235/

Here there is the experimental lwipv6 stack including slirpv6 and NATv6.

ciao
	renzo