[vbox-dev] VBoxManage guestcontrol --wait-for stdout

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Jun 15 12:30:19 GMT 2011

On 07.06.2011 19:48, Vikram Kapoor wrote:
> I need to --wait-for stdout since I am interested in the process output.
> Command I want to run is long running daemon and I need to read its stdout.

That's abusing the guest execute feature. You're blocking some resources
as long as the long running daemon is around.

> Is there any other recommended way to read the stdout of a process that
> was started using guestcontrol?

Normally long-running daemons should create a log file of their output.
Expecting everything to show up on the host is a very unusual requirement.

Normally guest execute is used for apps which run for a while, produce
some output and then terminate.

Klaus