[vbox-dev] How-to use guestcontol execute on shell commands?

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:23:13 GMT 2011

Hello,

I would like to introduce VBox "guestcontol execute" into GNS3 network
simulator.

Host: Windows 7 x64, VBox 4.0.8
Guest: Windows XP

I did this:
> VBoxManage guestcontrol execute "Windows XP VM01" "ipconfig.exe" --arguments " /all" --username Administrator --password 123456 --wait-for stdout
..and this works.

But a similar command FAILs:
> VBoxManage guestcontrol execute "Windows XP VM01" "dir" --arguments " C:\" --username Administrator --password 1234
56 --wait-for stdout

The problem is that in Windows, 'dir' command is not a separate
executable, unlike Linux 'ls', but is part of the system shell,
"cmd.exe"

Any ideas?

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"