[vbox-dev] useful debug for OS X deadlock panics?

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:04:36 GMT 2010

I've had ongoing problems with hangs and then watchdog panics in xnu
deadlocks with VBox 3.1.4 and 3.1.6 (trac ticket 5783). The debug data
I've been able to gather doesn't appear to be of much use (other than
having the OS X panic reporter claim that it's VirtualBoxVM processes
triggering the kernel deadlock), as the stack trace doesn't contain
any symbolic information. I'm trying to my machine moved from OS X to
OpenSolaris to resolve other issues (including some difficult to debug
packet loss on traffic between the host and guests) and am hoping this
will be resolved in the process, but this depends on more mature OS X
guest support, where there's not much clarity on when that will be
delivered.

In the interim, are there any suggestions on how to get more useful
debug data? Unfortunately OS X doesn't support local kernel core
dumps, but I'm happy to follow any suggestion the developers may
provide for improving debug data quality. Please let me know if I've
neglected anything already documented for the community or if this is
an area in which I need to do independent research for lack of
established or well-understood procedures.

Cheers,
Bayard