[vbox-dev] Init script interferes with Debian virtualbox-ose package

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Mon Oct 19 12:40:00 GMT 2009

Hi Felix,

On Tuesday 13 October 2009, Felix Geyer wrote:
> In Debian init scripts aren't deleted when the package is removed.
> So the first thing init scripts should do is to check if the package is
> installed, typically by checking if the main binary exists.
> If that's not the case they should exit with status code 0.

I agree.

> Though in this case that's not enough as a user might install
> virtualbox, remove it and install virtualbox-ose (or vice versa).
>
> A possible solution would be to add this at the top of the vboxdrv init
> script:
> test -x /usr/bin/VBoxHeadless -a ! -d /usr/share/doc/virtualbox-ose ||
> exit 0

Right. Though I use the following test now:

  [ -x $VBOXMANAGE -a -x $BUILDVBOXDRV ] || exit 0

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert    Sun Microsystems, Inc.    www.sun.com